PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, April 3, 2009

Great Balls of Cake!

Last weekend, we made cake balls. I have never had them before, but I think I'm in love. Chocolate, cream cheese frosting... more chocolate... be still, my heart. Cake balls are by no means a new idea, but I'm posting the steps--in photo form--here, just in case you've never had them either. Or is it just me who has missed out on over 20 years of ooey-gooey yumminess?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Bake a cake. Let it cool completely.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Take off your rings.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Crumble the cake into a bowl. Bonus points for using one of your favorite, but somehow seldom-used wedding gifts. This big hunk of a bowl.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Add almost a whole can of frosting.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mix it in.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Decide the metal spoon just isn't doin' it for you and switch to your favorite wooden variety.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Line a baking sheet/jelly roll pan with waxed paper.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Use that little metal scoop you always wondered what to do with.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Plop a level scoop of goo into your hand. Give hubbs a mini-lesson on how to take a picture on your current camera settings. Well done, babe!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Roll into a uniform ball.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Put 'em on the paper-lined tray.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Take a picture. Just for fun. I love that darned bowl. Sigh.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Step back and admire your balls. I mean... um. Huh.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Melt chocolate bark or candy wafers in the microwave in 30-second intervals. Drop a ball into the chocolate and spoon the chocolate over the ball. Don't roll the ball around, or you'll turn it into mush. A mushed up cake ball is not desirable. (Oh--and never mind these ball-dipping pictures. It was night time, I refused to use my flash. I have too much Bokeh going on. It just wasn't one of my finer moments.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Scoop up the cake ball, and then tap-tap-tap the spoon on the side of your container to remove excess chocolate.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Plunk it out onto some waxed paper. See the not-so-covered spots? I used an extra dollop of chocolate and smoothed the surface with the back of my spoon to fix 'em.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you're feeling extra-creative, it doesn't hurt to drizzle some chocolate over the top...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

...or package 'em in cute little boxes to send home with your darling sister-in-law and brother-in-law, who also helped by dipping the balls and entertaining Ryan by providing video-gaming company. I'm sure you can guess who performed which task.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The next day, when you're home alone with the baby and he's been napping too long, and you're bored as all get-out, it's fun to take a bite out of a cake ball and photograph the partially-eaten, delicious treat. Don't they look pretty? Don't you wish you could reach through your screen and just... eat one??

9 comments:

Jess and Eli said...

I am SO going to try making these. They look delicious and sound as if they're fairly simple to make...given the time! You're quite the homemaker! Also, I was totally admiring your countertops! I love them!

Shara said...

They certainly look yummy. I've been trying to find excuses to use my wonderful Christmas present (the Kitchenaid!!) so that might be on my to do list. I just don't do that much baking. Problem is that when I DO bake, I eat it... :)

Tori said...

Hmm ... nothing like taking the time to admire your balls!

bholtz3 said...

Hey I LOVE reading your blog!!! You have such great ideas and I love your photography. My mom and I are going to try and make the cake balls today...Hope it works out :) Oh, and thanks for the award, you are too sweet!

Kelly and Brecken

Chelsi said...

I'm so glad you've found something that Brandon could quite possibly eat his weight in... :) Thanks for the link to Bokah (I definitley had to look it up.)Oh, and thanks for calling me darling! GooooooO Cake Balls! :)

Maggie said...

those look so very yummy!

Ashley said...

oh I am sooo making them!!!I want one now!!!

The Mama said...

Well, look at you, Miss Bakerella :) How'd you find the time to make those?

Sara and Alex said...

those look awesome!

 
Clicky Web Analytics