I've been doing a lot of thinking today... about what I've learned over the last year. I feel like I've tucked a few new 'essentials' under my belt, and thought some of them worth sharing. You know, just for fun!
1. Babies poop. A lot. When you *think* they're done pooping? You're better off waiting five minutes. If you don't, you'll likely end up washing that pretty cream-colored minky-dot changing pad cover. At 2 AM.
2. I should not attempt, ever again, to work at a job that involves other people's third, fourth or fifth grade children. They make me want to pull my hair out. And send Ryan for a vasectomy. Yesterday.
3. It is completely possible for 2.5 people, a couple of cats and two goldfish to live in less than 500 square feet comfortably. I really love it here. Really.
4. Speaking of cats... when your calico kitty is mad at you, she'll likely pee in something other than her litter box. If you're lucky, you'll watch the whole thing play out before your very eyes and it won't take two weeks to figure out what she's doing. That's if you're lucky. I was only lucky the second time this scenario presented itself.
5a. Pacifiers sure do solve a lot of problems when you only weigh ten pounds and have only one mode of communication. Screeching. Loudly.
5b. It is important to politely explain that you do, indeed, reserve the paci for 'last ditch efforts' so that blog readers don't think you're a Mute Button Mama.
6. It really can snow in Washington.
7. There are amazing people all over the world. People who will pick you up when you're down, people who will make you laugh when it seems impossible and people who will love you for exactly.who.you.are.
8. A year can bring on a WORLD of change. One minute, you're lower than low. Your husband is dragging you out of the house because it's been days since you left, and your kitchen looks like World War Three. You feel like you'll never be the same again (and you won't--but that's a story for another day). In what seems like the next minute, you're tied to your house because it is where the clean diapers are. You haven't worn make-up or brushed your hair thoroughly in three days--and your kitchen still looks like World War Three, but that is because you're busy staring at the cutest little guy you've ever laid eyes on.
9. Babies poop. A lot. (...or have we been there already??)